Instead, after extensive talks, the players were asked to continue "supporting other charitable causes," Chelsea said earlier in the statement here that British media had reported that the club was in talks with players about the possibility of a 10 per cent pay cut due to the crisis.
"The first team of men will not contribute financially towards the club at this time," Chelsea said. "The board has instead directed the team to concentrate their efforts on further supporting other charitable causes.
"As this crisis develops, the club will continue to discuss financial contributions to the club's activities with the first men's team." Chelsea added that they would not use the government's job retention scheme during the crisis and would continue to pay full staff.
"The club can confirm that we are not going to take advantage of the current government Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme that runs until June 30," said the club.
"We are not planning any general redundancies or furloughs for our full-time staff who continue to be paid 100% of their current salaries." Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur and Bournemouth reversed all initial decisions to furlough non-playing staff during the pandemic in the wake of criticism, while Norwich City defended its decision to furlough staff earlier on Saturday.
Premier League clubs like Southampton and West Ham United have announced wage deferrals for players since English soccer was suspended due to the outbreak last month, while Arsenal announced a pay cut of 12.5 percent for players and coaching staff.